Monday, March 5, 2012

WE: The Christ-Followers

We need people.  For some of us, this is challenging to hear, because it seems like God should be all we need. But when we looked at the story of Adam in Genesis and saw that when God created Adam and saw that he was alone, it wasn’t good.  God created both Adam and us to need other people.

Let’s take it one step further in saying we don’t just need a lot of people in our lives.  We need community. But, the kind of community we are talking about is more than just having the same interests, hobbies, school, language, etc.  This is a community of passionate, Christ followers. And this community is one step further than some of us are comfortable going—because when we pursue community, things start to get personal, and they start to get messy.

Letter by a Friend:
“I have a handful of really close friends. But lately, I’m realizing that I need more than that. I need other guys. I need good friendships. And here’s the catch—I don’t want to put in the effort that takes. I’d rather spend time in my cave, and forget about everyone else.

I’m reluctant to take the risks that community requires. I’m content to have the illusion of relationships. I have a few deep ones, but most are on the surface. The kind of relationships where I am ‘fine’ and everything is about solely listening to the other person so I don’t have to divulge too much about myself.

But I’m a mess, guys.

I realize that I have backed myself into a corner and I am alone. Sure, God is with me. But I don’t have other guys who are just doing life with me. Not just people to go to in times of crisis, but people just to hang out with. Serve God with. Learn about God from.

I’ve realized that I will miss out on understanding about God because I’ve made my relationship with Him so personal, so private, and I’m oblivious to how He is working in other people.

I have a relationship with God. I have a dysfunctional relationship with myself. And I don’t really have relationships with other people.

I am more alone than any other time in my life, but for the first time in my life I realize just how much this is so not a good thing.”

Why share this letter?  The writer is realizing the depth of need that God has placed in him for others.  We need other people on a deep, God-centered level.  If we are going to know God better, what better way to love God, than to be in fellowship with those that are His.

If we’re honest with ourselves we would admit that we are broken people.  When broken people get together there is a 100% chance that their brokenness is going to affect one another.  If you’ve ever worked with people for any length of time, you’ve noticed that conflict occurs.

All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer. A deep sense of awe came over them all, and the apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders. And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had. They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity—all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved (Acts 2:43-47 NLT).

All the believers were united in heart and mind. And they felt that what they owned was not their own, so they shared everything they had. The apostles testified powerfully to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and God’s great blessing was upon them all. There were no needy people among them, because those who owned land or houses would sell them and bring the money to the apostles to give to those in need (Acts 4:32-35 NLT).

This is a mighty movement!  Everyday, people were being added to this thriving community.  It wasn’t just the goodwill of a rich few that were spreading the cheddar, but everyone; all the people were giving gladly, joyfully, with eagerness.  This is a community that is rarely seen in our day.  The Holy Spirit has descended on these people and a radical change has come over them.  Religion always gets nervous around someone entirely in love with God.  Even more so when its a growing number of people falling in love with God.  Not God’s rules, his regulations, or even his way of life.  They are in love with God, free to share, to love, to be alive in Christ.

What would it take to be a community like this?

We have been given the ministry of Reconciliation:

From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

2 Corinthians 5:16-21 (ESV)

If we are going to be faithful in this ministry of reconciliation what will you do?
What would that kind of life look like in our world today?
Here are a few BASIC steps to grow as individuals thriving as the community of God.

BOLD STEPS: Be willing to take Bold Steps to show those around you that you are in love with Jesus.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Find someone to keep you accountable if you are serious about your faith and desire to challenge the weaknesses in your life that trip you up.
SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINES: Know the Word of God, Worship, Pray.
INSTRUCTION: Take instruction in the Word and you apply it to your life.
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT: You commit to a constant refining of your character to become the integral man/woman of God that He desires you to be.  Seek to live above reproach.


(Thanks XP3 Ministry for selected material as well as nglmentoring for the BASIC mentoring acronym)

No comments:

Post a Comment