Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mission & Your Life



2 Corinthians 4:7-18

Today's guest post is from Matt.  He spoke a couple of weeks ago at youth group.  Matt and his family live in Ecuador and work with study abroad students and have many other hidden talents.  

I. Strategy for mission.

  1. Live by God’s power. Vs. 7.

But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves;”

2.Take up your cross: Gladly exchange comfort, safety, and even our own lives for Christ vs. 8-9 
8 we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;”
- Philippians 1:20 according to my earnest expectation and hope, that I will not be put to shame in anything, but that with all boldness, Christ will even now, as always, be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 
- Philippians 3:7-9- But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ.  8 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ,  9 and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith,
  1. Remember the purpose of life; witness. Live to put Christ on display- visible representation of the invisible God. Vs.10-12. 
10 always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body.  11 For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh.”
2 Corinthians 5:20- “Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. We are his ambassadors.”
Zechariah 8:21-9:1 –“21 'The inhabitants of one will go to another, saying, "Let us go at once to entreat the favor of the LORD, and to seek the LORD of hosts; I will also go."  22 'So many peoples and mighty nations will come to seek the LORD of hosts in Jerusalem and to entreat the favor of the LORD.'  23 "Thus says the LORD of hosts, 'In those days ten men from all the nations will grasp the garment of a Jew, saying, "Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you."'"  
Philippians 2:14-15–“Do all things without grumbling or disputing; so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world,”
  1. Speak the truth- Do not seek popularity vs. 13. 
13 But having the same spirit of faith, according to what is written, "I BELIEVED, THEREFORE I SPOKE," we also believe, therefore we also speak,”  
Matthew 10:26ff- "Therefore do not fear them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. 27 "What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim upon the housetops. 28 "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. 32 "Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33 "But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven. 
E.Stand strong.  Do not surrender in cowardice. vs. 16 and 1.

16 Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day. 
2 Corinthians 4:1 Therefore, since we have this ministry, as we received mercy, we do not lose heart, Our outer man is decaying- we’re getting the crap beat out of us!
 2 Corinthians 11:24 Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. 26 I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren; 27 I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. 28 Apart from such external things, there is the daily pressure on me of concern for all the churches.
  1. Live for the unseen and eternal- Do not look at earthly success (vs. 14-18)
14 knowing that He who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and will present us with you.  17 For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, 18 while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.”
Matthew 6:19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; 21 for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 

An aging Christian once objected to John G. Paton’s plan to go as a missionary to the South Sea Islands with the words, “you’ll be eaten by Cannibals! Paton responded:
“Mr. Dickson, you are advanced in years now, and your own prospect is soon to be laid in the grave, there to be eaten by worms; I confess to you, that if I can but live and die serving and honoring the Lord Jesus, it will make no difference to me whether I am eaten by Cannibals or worms; and in the Great Day my resurrection body will arise as fair as yours in the likeness of our risen Redeemer.” - John G Paton, c.1889

1 comment:

  1. Sorry the formatting is all off from transferring it to the blog!

    ReplyDelete