Monday, May 20, 2013

Ministry of Life


A brief look at 2 Corinthians 3:1 - 4:6


How do we be Christians without being all high and mighty over everyone else?

As a young Christian in high school this is exactly the problem I faced.  It was good to be good and liked by teachers, pastors, youth leaders.  Everyone thought, "Loren has it together.  We don't need to worry about him, he'll do fine."  The problem was, I believed them.  There were a few issues I struggled with here and there, but compared to some of my friends I was doing really well.  No smoking, drinking, fighting, chewing, cussing, sleeping around or hanging out with people that did those things.  Don't get me wrong, no one should be doing those things, but what I had created was a false image for others.  I was a good example.  My friend's parents thought I was a missionary to youth  when I was only a junior in high school (not just because of the beard).

When I came across this article from:
http://www.chattingatthesky.com/2013/05/13/one-thing-your-daughter-doesnt-need-you-to-say/
I was struck with how much this described me when I was a high school student.  I didn't know I could have struggles like everyone else.  I thought being a Christian meant having everything "together", saying the "right" things, and staying a few steps above everyone else.  People looked up to me (or despised me for my piety), but they could not relate to me.

And honestly I decided that I couldn't (shouldn't) relate to them either.  I didn't have to drink, smoke, sleep around or any of that to know that I was a sinner in constant need of the grace of God.  May be I didn't break the obvious rules, but I broke God's heart often enough with my internal sins and I still do.

This is where 2 Corinthians 3 and 4 come in.

Paul reminds us that the Spirit of God is transforming hearts.  People's lives are changing in ways that just following the rules cannot come close to.  Paul claims that the changes that have happened in him and that have been happening in those he's shared Christ with are not his doing.  Of all the people, Paul knew what it meant to follow the rules God had given his people, Israel.  But he said, "The letter (the law) kills, but the Spirit gives life.

The greatest glory is to be experienced by denying ourselves, taking up our cross, and following Jesus. We never become Jesus.  This is not some new age mumbo jumbo where everyone is a piece of God and together we make up his wholeness.  We are sinners, saved by grace through faith in Jesus.  Jesus is seen as glorious and most desirable when others see his transforming power at work in us despite our inability to be perfect.  It is Christ in us, the hope of glory that draws others to God.  This understanding of grace is critical to being fishers of men.

Jesus does the work.  He ministers to us in our greatest need.  His ministry to us is a great mercy and it gives life.  Are you with him?  Are you letting him change you?  Are you giving up on trying to make yourself good enough?  He is all the righteousness you will ever need.  Give up!  Let his grace be enough and true life will be found and flow through you to others.

Love you guys,

Loren

No comments:

Post a Comment